Female coupler

Talk about ball pumping, stretching, ball enlargement techniques.

Moderator: bigray57

HuronHomo

Female coupler

Post by HuronHomo »

I bought a female coupler and want to attach it to my 8” acrylic globe. Would anyone know what size hole to drill into the globe? What size nut do use to fasten it and where to find one. It has been suggested I should use an M10 nut with a 1.0mm thread. I can’t find one anywhere. The other option is to use a drill to add a thread directly to the acrylic but again, what size should I use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_0708.jpeg
Last edited by HuronHomo on Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HuronHomo

Re: Female coupler

Post by HuronHomo »

Oh, and I’m looking to source the items in Canada if possible.
thboy

Post by thboy »

Your fittings look like mine with the metal thumb tab. Mine have 1/8 NPT thread (aka 1/8 pipe, 1/8-27 pipe thread, etc). The tap drill size is .339” which of course is a little smaller than 3/8”. 1/8 NPT taps are available at your local hardware store. The tap will usually have the drill size etched on the tap. The tap package will probably list the drill size and the drill bit may even be included. If you have never used a taper tap, do not thread the tap in completely or the threaded hole will likely be too large. Thread about 1/3 of the tap in and check the fit v. your fitting. Thread deeper until the fit suits you.

I prefer my Amazon fittings (which look like yours) over the Leluv fittings. I stopped using the Leluv fittings 2 years ago but Leluv had the same 1/8 NPT thread, IIRC.

If I may make a suggestion:
I got tired of breaking the 1/8 NPT fittings and now use 3/4” bulkhead fittings. The 3/4” bulkhead fitting is threaded 1/4 NPT and I thread a 1/4 NPT male x 1/4 hose barb into the bulkhead fitting. I put a 3” length of 1/4 silicone hose on the 1/4 barb and then put the 1/4 barb of the quick connect fitting This works well on my spheres.

Will add a photo later.
Last edited by thboy on Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Delcopump

Post by Delcopump »

Whenever I have to do something like that I get a piece of wood and drill 3 different size holes then see which hole it threads in best but remember with acrylic if you thread on too tight it will crack I use clear waterproof silicone
thboy

Post by thboy »

Photos showing my connections using a 3/4 bulkhead fitting. As suggested by Delcopump, be careful. FOR MY 3/4” FITTINGS, I drill a 1/16” hole first, then drill a 3/16” hole, then drill a 1/4 hole, then drill a 3/8” hole, then finish to size with a tapered 13/16” reamer. The 3/4” bulkhead fittings have gaskets. I use a small amount of clear silicone on the inner gasket.
Attachments
05B9D306-E674-40B8-AFE1-586CDC544900.jpeg
7CEBE6C8-0B69-41B9-8C6A-4B64147CAD49.jpeg
lmsmfi

Post by lmsmfi »

I used a tap on one of my globes, screwed right in. The other i drilled out just a tad too big. Screws in but spins. Gorilla glued it, let it set for 24 hours. Been working great for weeks.
HuronHomo

Post by HuronHomo »

Thanks for all the help. I have some ideas to go with now. Cheers.
Pumping Now

Post by Pumping Now »

I prefer the brass bulkhead fitting.
If you drill & tap a hole in your tube, cross-threading the Colder fitting will mess up the drilled threads & start leaking.
Balls flopping free like a bull. To my knees, and beyond!
twlttznr

Post by twlttznr »

Hi
Jb weld or other epoxy will fix stripped threads, in my experience