Video chat! Come try it! UPDATED 11/28/23

Site updates and message board update information from the Administrator.

Moderator: bigray57

admin
Site Admin

Video chat! Come try it! UPDATED 11/28/23

Post by admin »

UPDATED 11/28/2023

The company providing the video chat has changed policies and requires a moderator. Anyone can be the moderator. The first person that connects to the room will automatically be the room moderator - so if you click to join the room and it doesn't just let you join - go ahead and join and you will be moderator for that session. We ask that you please not abuse the "power" and simply let everyone do their thing if you are the mod. If this becomes a problem and someone abuses the ability we'll look for another solution - so keep me posted if you start having issues with this new way of doing it.

THE SERVER ADDRESS CHANGED - PLEASE NOTE THE NEW LINK - IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE BOOKMARKED IT WILL NO LONGER WORK!

We had to change things slightly - so please re-read this post - the address of the chat room has changed and the app is different - it's still a "Jitsi" server but the web address of the chat room and the app is different - sorry you may have to download 8x8 app (link below) for it to work on
your phone (for some people it will just work on your phone without installing the app or anything so give it a try first) - from a desktop computer you do not need to download or install anything (and as of 11/24/23 many phones it will now just work without installing anything or doing anything special - better!)

It's an 8x8 meeting room (similar to Zoom)

just go to

https://meet.jit.si/newart :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: <--- this is the updated url

Let us know what you think - if it works well maybe we'll get a server of our own for it.

You can do it from a computer web browser or you can download the 8x8 app for Android or Iphone to join the meeting (app links below).

You do not need to sign in if using the app - just select "Join/Start meeting as guest" If the app asks for the name of the room just type in Newart.

Also you don't have to install the app to use it on your phone in all cases - not sure how it works on Iphone (maybe someone can let us know) but if your phone browser lets you "request desktop version" in the settings - as it does on the Android version of Chrome then you can join the video chat
right from Chrome without having to install the app - easy!

below is a screenshot of the setting on my Android phone in Chrome browser to request "Desktop Mode".

if you don't request the desktop mode then the phone will instead prompt you to download the app - which also works (and may work better than doing it in the browser)
chrome.png
Here is a link to the 8x8 Android app if you want to install it - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=jitsi&c=apps

Here is a link to the 8x8 Iphone app - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/8x8-video-meetings/id1473422060

Remember -you do not need to sign in - just select "Join/Start meeting as guest" when the app asks the room name enter "Newart" -
(screen shot of app screen below )
8x8.png
8x82.png
Here is a Youtube video that gives a 48 second intro to what Jitsi is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRsL9tIZnU
Torontopump

Re: NEW - Video chat - during lockdown! Come try it!

Post by Torontopump »

works great
Str8pumperboy

Post by Str8pumperboy »

Tried it on Saturday night. It worked good and I got to meet one of the admin. It was easy and viewing picture was clear.
bigld2

Post by bigld2 »

Tried a few times and it looks great - nice and clear - but so far nobody else has been there. When is a good time to meet some pump buddies? Maybe the weekend?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

feel free to post on this thread when you're online...

yeah it's sometimes hard to get enough users on at the same time... that's typically the problem :wink:
bigld2

Post by bigld2 »

I am in Europe so maybe US pumpers are on later when I am in bed. I am on GMT+1 time. Any of you European pumpers or early US pumpers online this weekend??
biller

Post by biller »

hi guys this is an easy set up and works well .but could do with a few more users .come test it out
Blkcisg

Post by Blkcisg »

I have visited several times. What days and times are best? I have been the only one there each time.
soundsgreat87

Post by soundsgreat87 »

Same experience.. maybe we should set up a meeting time.
PumpYoBoy

Post by PumpYoBoy »

Anyone Online?

We Can Pump Together
pumpert

Post by pumpert »

Come to the chat now
bigld2

Post by bigld2 »

pumping here now
racerone114114114

Post by racerone114114114 »

we need more pumpers
longman1

Post by longman1 »

Yep, very nice! I was there and no one else today I could see! More pumpers!!!

longman1
email at Unityguy1@...
racerone114114114

Post by racerone114114114 »

cam on tonight