Use of 5% saline vs 5%Dex

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

dissidence

Use of 5% saline vs 5%Dex

Post by dissidence »

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, and relatively new to inflation.
I have only infused 0.9% saline up until now and want to try 5% dextrose in order to prolong the experience. In terms of osmolarity 5% saline should give a similar swelling effect and reabsorbsion timeline as 5% dextrose.
It is probably an availability issue, but I don't see any information on higher tonicity saline infusions.
So, if the community would be so kind to oblige me I would like to know whether anyone here has any experience infusing 5% saline (or similar tonicity) and what the experience was like.

I have a less is more approach to this where I would typically not infuse more than 350ml at a time. I find the size and feeling around the 300ml mark most engaging and practical. I would love for the experience to last much longer than it does, though.
dissidence

Re: Use of 5% saline vs 5%Dex

Post by dissidence »

I ended up answering my own question by doing a small test run on first 2,5% and then adding 5% saline. In terms of swelling and longer lasting effect it works beautifully. I report for anyone who in future is curious.

I infused 100ml of 2,5% saline first. I noticed that the usual sting bites substantially harder compared to 0,9% when the needle came out. Nothing that can't be tolerated, but it does sting for a few minutes. I experienced a decent amount of swelling in the first hour or so and was quite please with where it ended up.
Then about 5 hours later I topped it with 5% Saline and this stings something fierce around the injection site. During injection it is similar to the 2,5%, but once the needle comes out it immediately becomes a very intense, focused sting. Some distance past a hornet sting. It dissipates quite rapidly, but the first minute is a long one. After 3min it becomes much more tolerable and after 5 minutes it is gone.

While a quick 5min 50 - 100ml infusion might be tolerable I cannot imagine sitting down for an hour infusing a litre while enduring that sting. I would use it again, but only if I am in a bind. The swelling felt great and the reabsorbsion rate was slow and even, much more so than with 2 5%. Perfect for what I wanted.
I will wait a week or so and then try 5% Dextrose. If it delivers the same effects and reabsorbsion rate I will conclude that the answer to my original question is simply 'pain'.
mRuss

Post by mRuss »

dissidence wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:58 pm 5% Saline and this stings something fierce around the injection site.
Yeah I switched from Normal Saline (NS) to 5%Dex years ago because I hated the stinging sensation. Even 5% Dex in Saline rarely stings. but Saline on its own is no fun. I can imagine 5% Saline must have been unpleasant at best.
dissidence

Post by dissidence »

At the time I imagined that it must be what it feels like to be bitten in the balls by a rattlesnake. It really stings! But luckily it dissipates quickly. It was bareable within a minute or so and gone in 5min.
I am looking forward to the Dextrose. I already have everything ready for a 200ml infusion, but will wait a week or so for the swelling and soreness of this round to clear up.