Bruising After Infusion

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

Eldorio

Bruising After Infusion

Post by Eldorio »

Curious for my fellow saline and dextrose infusers.

Is it pretty common that you get some degree of bruising around the injection site? I only do between 500 - 1,000 mL, but I almost always see bruising at the injection point.

Doesn't hurt, and it goes away after a few days. But it's ugly for a few days following the session. Then I look back to normal.
Calitex

Re: Bruising After Infusion

Post by Calitex »

I had bruising the first two times I infused. Since then though, I have done probably 10-15 without any bruising. I also take a flashlight and shine it through the skin to make sure I’m not near any blood vessels.
nj_restorer

Post by nj_restorer »

Good idea to use the flashlight, Calitex.
I usually don't bruise but sometimes a little and it's usually gone within 2 days at the most.
Sometimes I hardly even have a wound so I can just use glue and no bandage. It all comes with practice.
Eldorio

Post by Eldorio »

What type of needles are you using? I do a 21 g winged needle. Wondering if I should switch to a smaller size or catheter.
abstract22

Post by abstract22 »

If you avoid hitting a vein then you should not have any bruising at all. Try to find a spot clear of veins, I use a flashlight and try to remember general areas that tend to not have many veins. It's difficult to mark an exact spot because for that you'd have to mark the spot somehow, but also disinfect it... so it takes a bit of fiddling around.
nj_restorer

Post by nj_restorer »

I also use 21g winged needles, specifically these:
https://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/iv-su ... 21g-x-3/4/
Eldorio wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:52 am What type of needles are you using? I do a 21 g winged needle. Wondering if I should switch to a smaller size or catheter.