IV Catheters from Amazon

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

djstaircase

IV Catheters from Amazon

Post by djstaircase »

Just got some of these IV caths from Amazon that are sold for piercing, and I'm a little worried about them. The labels don't have any company identification like I'm used to, they just say:

I.V. CATHETER
22G Pen-like
Mfg: 20220415 Exp: 20270415

Seems like there are a zillion listings for these on Amazon with the same label type (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iv+catheter). The labels on mine seem not all placed identically (not faulty or anything, but some are just slightly wrinkled/crooked making me think they were applied by hand not a machine). I bought two orders from two different listings and they both look the same.

I'm worried they're from a cheap factory hand-assembled by the Chinese Professional Sneezing Team.

Am I overthinking this? Anyone have any insight?
BorisTheOdd

Re: IV Catheters from Amazon

Post by BorisTheOdd »

I bought catheters from amazon last year and...it's impossible to really verify if they are sterile, but I haven't had any issues at the least. The needles I bought are no longer sold, which is either a sign that amazon removed the listing for violating some policy they seem to have regarding selling medical equipment, or worse they were removed after a complaint from a customer, who the heck knows.

Its hard to be certain as even a non-sterile needle is not guaranteed to cause an infection, it just increases the risk factor. You can chemically sterilize your needles if you are paranoid, few things can survive an isopropyl bath.
fuzzyass1

Post by fuzzyass1 »

Try, rhinomedticalsupply, Got two boxes og 23G butterfly.
djstaircase

Post by djstaircase »

For anyone interested, I went ahead and used them. I dipped the needle ends in isopropyl alcohol (91%) and shook them dry.

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on a better way to alcohol-bath a cath needle considering there are internal parts and it might result in a tiny amount of the alcohol getting injected (i.e. whatever was in the needle shaft).
djstaircase

Post by djstaircase »

fuzzyass1 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:09 pm Try, rhinomedticalsupply, Got two boxes og 23G butterfly.
Thanks for this but I've found the cath needles to be so much more comfortable that I don't want to use butterflys or regular needles anymore.