abdomen saline infusion?

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

jcgrow

abdomen saline infusion?

Post by jcgrow »

Is this theoretically possible? (ie into the potential space)
kiwibop

Re: abdomen saline infusion?

Post by kiwibop »

Infusion of modified saline solutions into the peritoneal cavity is the methodology behind CAPD, continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, used by tens of thousands of end stage renal failure patients globally. The risk of infection is always present, and peritonitis is not pleasant and can be fatal if not treated aggressively and promptly. As a footnote; the scrotum is an outpocket of the peritoneum so the same risks apply
jcgrow

Post by jcgrow »

I figured a much. Ideas as to where one might place the needle to attempt this? (My notion is through the belly button)
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

I must go on record and advise AGAINST this activity in it's entirety ... the abdominal cavity has absolutely NO infection fighting capabilities what so ever. If you puncture thru your abdominal wall and hit the intestines and they leak you will get VERY VERY sick. I've seen peritonitis and it's NOT pretty. People end up hospitalized for MONTHS with peritonitis. PLEASE do NOT do this!
kiwibop

Post by kiwibop »

Yeah, gotta say I'm with B8rBear on this one. My Dad was on CAPD and got peritonitis despite the aseptic techniques used for infusing solutions with this process. And that is with a permanent fixed catheter, not shoving nasty sharp needles into your abdomen. Hit your gut with a needle and it's gonna get really ugly really quickly