Winged infusion sets

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

nj_restorer

Winged infusion sets

Post by nj_restorer »

Hi guys.

I have only 1 or 2 needles left in my 21g box of winged infusion sets aka scalp vein set or butterfly needles.

I was thinking of going "up" in size to 18g or 19g so thr saline will fill faster.

Is there any appreciable difference?

I know that the trade-off could be a larger pinprick to close or clot. But I've never had any problems getting the hole at 21g to close quickly, sometimes even without a bandage.

Thanks!
rokie221

Re: Winged infusion sets

Post by rokie221 »

You might be able to try a pressure infuser. That way you can keep the smaller injection site. They sell them on Amazon for like $29.99. it squeezes the bag and forces the infusion to speed up
nj_restorer

Post by nj_restorer »

Thanks. I never heard of that. I'll check it out, rokie221.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Flow rate is all about the minimum line size. Just like plumbing. A larger butterfly needle will only help if the 12" leader tubing is also bigger.
curioustim

Post by curioustim »

nj_restorer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:31 am Hi guys.

I have only 1 or 2 needles left in my 21g box of winged infusion sets aka scalp vein set or butterfly needles.

I was thinking of going "up" in size to 18g or 19g so thr saline will fill faster.

Is there any appreciable difference?

I know that the trade-off could be a larger pinprick to close or clot. But I've never had any problems getting the hole at 21g to close quickly, sometimes even without a bandage.

Thanks!
For belly and chest I went to 19G and was SUPER fast. 20 min per 500 ML bog of 5% dextrose. Little discomfort at first then it settled in and felt incredible. First set I ordered was 23 G and even with a pressure cuff took forever for me.
flcomputer_man

Post by flcomputer_man »

Just remember the larger bore the needle, the longer the hole takes to close up and if you're really full and stretched you'll be leaking and weeping for days unless you superglue it closed.
PumperSoCal

Post by PumperSoCal »

The happy median for my infusions has actually been a 20g. The hole is bigger than a 23, but isn't nearly as big as the 18g is. Still takes a bit to seal, but with the 15 drop per ml lines it goes way faster than a 23g does. Not exactly sure how much faster exactly though. I haven't done an infusion in some time now. Looking at probably doing another one soon though.
Straight Pumper& Infuser

"I look normal on the outside, but you have no idea what lies beneath this brilliant camouflage."
nj_restorer

Post by nj_restorer »

Atlantic Medical Supply right now has winged infusion sets of 18, 21, 22, 23, and 25 g. The 19g is sold out.

If the 18 g is fairly big and hard to seal maybe I should stick with the 21g version.