Bruising Advice

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

curioustim

Bruising Advice

Post by curioustim »

A few times, after injecting, I have gotten bruises (on chest and belly). They don't hurt and go away after about a week, but are really unattractive.

Any suggestions on how to avoid bruising?
flcomputer_man

Re: Bruising Advice

Post by flcomputer_man »

Look for blood vessels and veins before you stick the needle in?
5Lsal

Post by 5Lsal »

yeah, seems obvious but most times you can't really see the veins, specially if you're hairy. Do you best and tape the tube down to keep the needle from moving around, don't go in on too sharp an angle and don't change the angle once you're in. Avoiding any lateral movement of the tip of the needle 0once it's in should help.
mRuss

Post by mRuss »

5Lsal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:01 pm Avoiding any lateral movement of the tip of the needle 0once it's in should help.
Yeah i've seen videos on men jacking it while still infusing using a butterfly needle and i'm always a bit surprised, like, ya do know there's a very pointy needle still inside?
curioustim

Post by curioustim »

5Lsal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:01 pm yeah, seems obvious but most times you can't really see the veins, specially if you're hairy. Do you best and tape the tube down to keep the needle from moving around, don't go in on too sharp an angle and don't change the angle once you're in. Avoiding any lateral movement of the tip of the needle 0once it's in should help.
Thank you for the great advice. It makes sense. Appreciate ya!!
djstaircase

Post by djstaircase »

Two tips:

1) Lately I use catheter needles. With those the sharp metal needle is only used for insertion and during infusion theres only a not-sharp flexible plastic tube. So, less internal poking as you move around during infusion.

2) Try to figure out where your veins are near your infusion sites so you can find a clear area, then remember those exact spots. A bright light might be enough depending on your skin tone. I actually found an app called IRVeinViewer which uses the IR camera on your phone to try and highlight veins. It works but is frankly very hard to use. But, all I needed to do was struggle with it long enough to find two spots that work. I use those spots now and I no longer have visible bruising.

Hope it help :)