Home made saline

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

peterwonder

Home made saline

Post by peterwonder »

Anyone make and inject your own saline solution?

And do you have the recipe?
Squirrel

Re: Home made saline

Post by Squirrel »

Please don't pursue this. I know saline can be difficult to find, but the savings of $10 isn't worth the additional risk of making it in a non sterile environment. There's risks with this hobby no matter how we do it. Don't add unnecessary risk to save a few bucks. Any potential DR appointment will erase the savings and add embarrassment.
Bobbybass

Post by Bobbybass »

I'll second Squirrel on this one. There's always risk of infection with the real stuff. Let alone home made stuff that's not sterile.
Rainers9706

Post by Rainers9706 »

I am using home made saline for about two years and still I have no problems.
Be careful, use clean tools and UV lamp for sterilization.
BorisTheOdd

Post by BorisTheOdd »

Its kind of... A difficult endeavor to do properly sterile.
You want a pressure cooker, the old stovetop sort with pressure gauge, and an old style glass infusion bottle. You need to modify the pressure cooker so you can pressurize it without adding heat, I drilled a hole and added a presta valve.
Its been a long ass time since I've tried this so I don't remember the exact deetz, but the idea is you mix distilled water and pure sodium chloride in the proper proportions and put it in the infusion bottle, then you place the whole bottle in the pressure cooker, raised so its not touching the bottom. You pressurize with a bike pump to 15 psi, then you heat the whole cooker 250f and let it sit that way for half an hour or so.
The high pressure prevents the saline from boiling, allowing it to reach sterilization temps without turning to steam. You can just pressurize it by using the cooker normally and boiling water to reach the right pressure and temps, but that'll likely screw up the sodium chloride concentration in the saline to some degree since it'll inevitably boil.

Such a process should yield near.medical grade saline, as its essentially just small scale autoclaving. Its kinda a lot of work for a rather small yield.