Mixing Glucose and Saline to get D5NS

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

abstract22

Mixing Glucose and Saline to get D5NS

Post by abstract22 »

So if I understand correctly, the magic "doubling" swelling solution seems to be D5NS, which is 0.9% NaCl and 5% dextrose in water, but I can't buy that mixture anywhere without a prescription. I can, however, buy 5% dextrose separately, but there's no way to mix that with saline to get the right ratio (250ml of saline + 250ml of 5% dextrose would equal 500ml of which 0.45% is NaCl and 2.5% is dextrose, which is much less concentrated).

I can, however, buy a solution of 50% dextrose, which I could mix with saline. If my maths is right, then 500ml of 0.9% saline mixed with 50ml of 50% dextrose would result in 550ml of solution whose volume is 0.82% NaCl and 4.55% dextrose, which I'd guess is close enough. The more I add of one, the more it dilutes the other, since both are already in a lot of water. Not sure how else to do it short of being a chemist.

I'd inject the dextrose into the bag of saline (with a syringe?), shake it well, then administer that via IV.

Would this work?
Tobbehorny59

Re: Mixing Glucose and Saline to get D5NS

Post by Tobbehorny59 »

Hjälp. Hur mycket torr glukos ska man blanda till 250ml koksaltlösning
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

This exactly what I did for many years before starting Surgilube injections.

I moved the D50 solution to saline bags with a 60ml syringe until I got the dextrose concentration I wanted. Your math is correct. It requires a few extra precautions. Wipe down the bags and transfer points with alcohol before AND after transferring fluids. I never stored my "mixed" solutions. Single use, then trash. Add the D50 to saline bags via the side port in the bag.

My favorite concentration, after MANY years of experimentation were 4-14% dextrose in normal saline bags depending on what I could hide for 2-5 days. Any more than 12-14% and the discomfort was notably worse than the normal sting from saline and not worth doing. Higher %, the more growth over the 4-6 hours after infusion. 300ml of D13NS I mixed grew to nearly 2L of straight saline size. Start small and see how you react. Don't start over 5%. Don't do more than 250ml if you know you can take 1L of saline.

I tried straight D50 once. Never again. 8 hours of agony.
Guy2059

Post by Guy2059 »

Where can you get this 50% Dextrose? :D
abstract22

Post by abstract22 »

Guy2059 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:15 pm Where can you get this 50% Dextrose? :D
I found it in Germany: https://www.bodfeld-apotheke.de/product ... 17324.html
But that might not be the best option if you're in the US.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

This is what I've been buying for 10+ years.

Durvet Dextrose 50 Solution 500mL
https://a.co/d/ixoXNus
pump91

Post by pump91 »

Wie berechnet man das mit 50% Glucose und Kochsalzlösung?
Zb. das man auf 1l 1,5l 2l kommt.
rajrajiv

Post by rajrajiv »

abstract22 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:18 am So if I understand correctly, the magic "doubling" swelling solution seems to be D5NS, which is 0.9% NaCl and 5% dextrose in water, but I can't buy that mixture anywhere without a prescription. I can, however, buy 5% dextrose separately, but there's no way to mix that with saline to get the right ratio (250ml of saline + 250ml of 5% dextrose would equal 500ml of which 0.45% is NaCl and 2.5% is dextrose, which is much less concentrated).

I can, however, buy a solution of 50% dextrose, which I could mix with saline. If my maths is right, then 500ml of 0.9% saline mixed with 50ml of 50% dextrose would result in 550ml of solution whose volume is 0.82% NaCl and 4.55% dextrose, which I'd guess is close enough. The more I add of one, the more it dilutes the other, since both are already in a lot of water. Not sure how else to do it short of being a chemist.

I'd inject the dextrose into the bag of saline (with a syringe?), shake it well, then administer that via IV.

Would this work?
You can use the 2nd mixture its very close to D5NS. In India anyone can buy D5NS from a drugstore but I have used the mixture you have prepared many time when D5NS is not available in the store. It works perfectly. First hand the saline from a stand and the take a big syringe and inject the dextrose specifically according to measurement and you are good to go.
mRuss

Post by mRuss »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:21 pm This exactly what I did for many years before starting Surgilube injections.

I moved the D50 solution to saline bags with a 60ml syringe until I got the dextrose concentration I wanted. Your math is correct. It requires a few extra precautions. Wipe down the bags and transfer points with alcohol before AND after transferring fluids. I never stored my "mixed" solutions. Single use, then trash. Add the D50 to saline bags via the side port in the bag.

My favorite concentration, after MANY years of experimentation were 4-14% dextrose in normal saline bags depending on what I could hide for 2-5 days. Any more than 12-14% and the discomfort was notably worse than the normal sting from saline and not worth doing. Higher %, the more growth over the 4-6 hours after infusion. 300ml of D13NS I mixed grew to nearly 2L of straight saline size. Start small and see how you react. Don't start over 5%. Don't do more than 250ml if you know you can take 1L of saline.

I tried straight D50 once. Never again. 8 hours of agony.
Listen to Squirrel, folks.

a) the math is correct.
b) keeping everything sterile is key to avoiding infection, and that goes double when "spiking" bags of Normal Saline (NS). If you slip up you're going to have a bad time, and nobody wants that.
c) holy sweet fuck Squirrel I'm glad you survived trying straight D50, that could have sincerely ruined your tissues. Everybody else: NEVER DO THAT. (also: never inject Sterile Water. That will also mess you up.)
d) there's no need to go above D5NS for concentration: you get plenty of growth with D5NS.
pump91

Post by pump91 »

pump91 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:52 am Wie berechnet man das mit 50% Glucose und Kochsalzlösung?
Zb. das man auf 1l 1,5l 2l kommt.

How do you calculate that with 50% glucose and saline?
For example, that one comes to 1l 1.5l 2l.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Here's an example using D50 (dextrose and water) and normal saline 0.9% NaCl.

60ml of D50 added to a 500ml bag gets you the following.

5.36% dextrose. 30ml of 100% dextrose (because half the 60ml you aded was straight dextrose) divided by the total volume of 560ml.

0.804% NaCl. The 500ml bag started with 4.5ml of NaCl (0.9% of 500ml). Now divide the 4.5ml by the new total volume of 560ml to get your saline percentage.
pump91

Post by pump91 »

Sorry, but don't really understand this calculation as I need to use a translator to understand it.

How much volume does this example give approximately?

Isn't there a simple formula for glucose, like for example 0.25x10x1000=2500
mRuss

Post by mRuss »

maybe this page can explain the calculation method
https://toptipbio.com/c1v1-equation/
Guy2059

Post by Guy2059 »

Added 40ml of 50% Dextrose to a 100ml bag of 0.9% NS to make D20NS. Infusion time was very short because it was only 140ml in total. Ended up getting some pretty good results. It wasn't the same heavy fluid feeling you get with larger volume infusions but the swelling started right away and probably got to the size of normal 500ml NS infusion if not bigger.