pacemaker and infusion

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

tucpumpr

pacemaker and infusion

Post by tucpumpr »

I just had a pacemaker put in me two weeks ago and I'm concerned about doing my regular 2 liters of saline this coming weekend. Anyone have experience with doing saline with a pacemaker? thanks
B8rBear

Re: pacemaker and infusion

Post by B8rBear »

What is your underlying rhythm? What is your ejection fraction? Do you have or are you prone to Congestive Heart Failure? This is the information that is needed to know if you heart can take the "fluid challenge" that will result after a scrotal saline infusion. (sorry, the nurse in me came out!) Did your doctor put you on a fluid restriction? If yes, the fluids used in your infusion count towards that restriction.
tucpumpr

Post by tucpumpr »

no fluid restrictions. just low heart rate, other than that, strong heart, no chf. What do you think? thanks for responding
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

My thoughts are take it easy with 1 liter first. If that goes without difficulty thru the ENTIRE reabsorption phase, then MAYBE consider 2 liters next infusion. (Disclaimer - I'm NOT a physician and I do NOT have the ability to recommend/prescribe treatment. You should seek out the advice of a physician before trying this. You can ask about how excess or large oral consumption of fluids will affect your pacer and heart without telling him you are performing scrotal infusions.) You were obviously symptomatic with your low heart rate ... excess fluids may have an effect on that. Plus, extra fluids can change the electrolyte balance in your blood thus potentially changing your hearts ability to contract/pump effectively. I'm not trying to scare you, just pointing out the many different things that scrotal infusions do to our blood chemistry and fluid balances, and how that can potentially affect your situation. Physician advice is recommended.
tucpumpr

Post by tucpumpr »

thanks appreciate the input. I spoke with another nurse and he says the same thing you do. I will use your suggestion about asking about large amounts of fluid consumption with my doctor. Thanks again
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

Good luck ... good to know another nurse is thinking like me! Wink! Lemme know what the doc says about your case !!