My Experience with Homemade Saline Solution

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

BorisTheOdd

My Experience with Homemade Saline Solution

Post by BorisTheOdd »

So, with the shortage being bad enough that people are considering some rather dumb alternatives, I think it might be relevant for me to discuss my experience with homemade saline which I had quite a few months ago.

Obviously this sort of thing carries a risk and I don't recommend doing this, especially if you lack medical experience or the proper equipment. Honestly though, I think if you approach it correctly than a homemade solution is a lot safer than stuff like KY Jelly, which seems to be incredibly popular at the moment.

Before I go into the procedure, I should probably discuss my motives for having done this sort of thing in the first place. It was entirely a cost saving measure, I already had all the equipment necessary for an infusion from my old job, with the exception of a large portion of saline. Buying it online was expensive and often required a medical or veterinary license, which seemed more trouble than it was worth. When you're doing something that could potentially harm your health if done wrong, you really shouldn't concern yourself with prices like I did. I'm not going to get too specific as, while it went off without a hitch it's still a bad idea, plus it's been a while and I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

After doing a lot of research into a plethora of subjects I determined the best way to go about doing this was to boil distilled water, mix in the proper amount of non-iodized salt, and infuse it while it was still slightly warm. Distilled water is cheap and lacks minerals and additives like tap water, and boiling it before infusion seemed like the best way to ensure it was as sterile as I could get it without adding chemicals with the added benefit of not having to warm it up before use. Apparently iodized salt can cause irritation, so should be avoided when making saline.

To start, I covered my kitchen counter with copper foil and wiped it down with isopropyl, copper has germicidal properties which I'm not too well read on, but seemed better than just laying things on the counter. I pulled out a portable burner, cleaned an disinfected it, I got an aluminum saucepan and lid, cleaned and disinfected that, I added about a liter of distilled water to the saucepan and about 9 grams of salt. I boiled this for about 15 minutes with the lid on, the resulting fluid was less than a liter, meaning the salt concentration was likely going to be higher than desired.

I was getting a little giddy at this point and after 20-ish minutes I began transferring the solution to my IV bag with a sterilized funnel. It was a little too hot at that point and my hands ended up a little red. I gave the solution another half hour to cool down and I started infusing. I was still a noobie, so I went through about 4 catheters and too much iodine before I finally got a good spot. In 1 ½ hours I infused maybe 600-700 ml before my sack just wouldn't take anymore.

The entry healed quick as a result of the small catheters I used. There were no complications except for an itch from the salt which faded, it felt real neat. Pics bellow
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Again, I advice against doing this sort of thing, I am a dropout who somehow got a job as a repair technician once, not a doctor.
mRuss

Re: My Experience with Homemade Saline Solution

Post by mRuss »

Your results do look good, I must admit. I have to echo your own words of caution: much of this is generally not advised. Be that as it may it's probably safer than some of the crazy stuff I've read on here (air inflation tops my list of "wtf")

It's good that you used distilled water, and it's good that you boiled everything. Iodized salt can cause irritation, true, so that was also good to leave out. The toughest part is: you have to let it all cool down and during this time is where any bacterial contaminants could multiply. Infusing before everything cools is possibly just as damaging as getting an infection, so yeah you really do have to wait for it to cool off.

Infusing sterile saline with sterile equipment is risky enough on its own. You're doing some Evel Knievel level shit here :) Best of luck to you if you try it again.
cjfatnite

Post by cjfatnite »

I'm pretty sure they use UV light to sterilize commercial saline.
-CJ
ole.saline

Post by ole.saline »

that isnt good! to bcame steril Water needs temp more than 126 Celsius !!! boild water is lower than 100 Celsius!
Olesaline
guysmiley

Post by guysmiley »

ole.saline wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm that isnt good! to bcame steril Water needs temp more than 126 Celsius !!! boild water is lower than 100 Celsius!
Olesaline
and, iirc, you need an autoclave to accomplish this. I'm not in front of my old college notes, but I vaguely remember sterilizing water means it needs to be subjected to high temps under pressure.
kinkykiwi

Post by kinkykiwi »

Hey thought I would add my 2 cents....

So when I started with saline this was exactly my process.... I found roughly 20% of the time I would end up with a mild to moderate infection.

Once the saline swell had gone away I was sometimes left with hard, very hot and sensitive lumps around the size of a ping pong ball. The pain used to drive me nuts to the point that I would drain the pus by using a large Guage needle to make a small hole and squeezing. Sounds disgusting, cause it was!! I would also use amoxycillian or otherwise to help speed things up.

Not once since I have used proper supplies have I had such a problem so it's pretty obvious what the issue was.

I took the gamble just like you and sure it was generally fine but so much more pleasant just to order supplies!

Don't risk it, the unnecessary pain and discomfort isn't worth the gain.
Pumping Now

Post by Pumping Now »

For higher water temperature, how about a pressure cooker?
Balls flopping free like a bull. To my knees, and beyond!
7pump

Post by 7pump »

To all curious about saline / gluco inflation: don't do that. Simple madness to take the risk of infections just to save a few bucks. Play safe or better look for another hobby.