Any harm in using a peristaltic pump?

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

BorisTheOdd

Any harm in using a peristaltic pump?

Post by BorisTheOdd »

A have a lot of old dialysis machine parts, amongst those parts is a 12 volt peristaltic pump. The pump itself makes no contact with the fluids it pumps and instead squeezes an inserted tube with a roller. Now, I probably wouldn't use this particular one as it is rather bulky and has circuitry in it preventing the speed from being adjustable, but I was wondering if this sort of pump would be good for speedy infusions perhaps? I can't think of any obvious downsides, I already see people on this forums doing pressure infusions and whatnot, and this sort of pump is used in the medical field to transport blood in and out of dialysis patients.

Well, no, I can think of one downside. you could insert the needle in a bad spot and force saline into a painful area if you're not careful, probably be easy enough to prevent that if you’re careful with the speed of the motor and use a potentiometer or something.

Seems like a good idea to me, then again I am discussing the injection of a large quantity of fluids into my scrotum for the sake of a somewhat bizarre fetish. Maybe there are no good ideas with this subject, only less harmful ones.
5Lsal

Re: Any harm in using a peristaltic pump?

Post by 5Lsal »

I don't see any issues with this over a pressure infusion cuff other than the one you've already mentioned.
Given the mechanical nature of the pump I'd think you're definitely more likely to do damage if the needle isn't placed properly.
If you start with a gravity drip first to make sure everything is flowing nicely then feed the lines into the pump it should be fairly safe.

Insert "I am not a doctor" disclaimer here...
mjim7

Post by mjim7 »

If the pump speed is not adjustable I guess it would depend on what the set speed is, too fast and it could be very painful and possibly harmful. I've been looking at IV infusion pumps which sell on eBay for very little and seem to be fully adjustable to pump up to 999ml per hour. They are also linear peristaltic pumps, and the only drawback is the manufacturer's admin sets are hard to find and cost about 10 X more than the generic ones. I can't figure out if the generic ones would work, if anyone out there knows the answer to that it would be really useful. I've started using small gauge (21 or smaller) which seem to bruise less, but gravity infusion just doesn't work for me with needles smaller than 19g.
the_fake_belly

Post by the_fake_belly »

You could make a pump with a syringe and iv check valves, like this...
pulls from the right...
pulls from the right...
pushes to the left.
pushes to the left.
with a stop watch you could probably get your CC’s per hour.
Youtube: Chubfiction
Xtube: thefakebelly
Be cautious, be positive. :lol: