sodium chloride .45%

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

Marcus20

Re: sodium chloride .45%

Post by Marcus20 »

gabrielageo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 am it's sterile water safe for injection? There's a shortage of saline and I'm tempted to inject with that or vet's saline
Research and actually read before you post in five+ threads, it bogs down the forum with unnecessary bs.
brock.vegas wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:00 am It is a weaker solution of salt/sodium chloride instead of the usual .9%. It will just take more to have the same results as using .9%
And this is the answer some of you may be looking for. It is a weaker solution and if it were me, this would be one of the last things I’d use on myself. My top list of solutions would be 5% glucose/dextrose, glucose 5% mix w 0.9% saline, 0.9% saline.
eam2012

Post by eam2012 »

BTW, I infused 250 ml to see if it would work. I wouldn't do it again. I was wiped out after and I think it threw off my electrolytes
Marcus20

Post by Marcus20 »

eam2012 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:01 pm BTW, I infused 250 ml to see if it would work. I wouldn't do it again. I was wiped out after and I think it threw off my electrolytes
This being one of the reasons why I’d use it last if I had to, which won’t be happening. I hope you’re alright now though.
rajrajiv

Post by rajrajiv »

absolutely NO to sterile water..
It will cause serious harm as water will move inside the cells where you infuse and then cause the cells to burst (haemolysis). Only use 0.9% saline if available or 5% dextrose.
Gottscha1

Post by Gottscha1 »

I have been infusing for many years, and lurking on this website off and on over the years. So, I also ordered the wrong IV solution. I purchased .5% Dex, .45% Sodium Chloride, in 1,000ml bags. I figured it was half the strength of 5% Dex, .9% Sodium Chloride. So, I infused 1,000ml. I noticed that even before I had the entire bag in, my balls were really starting to swell more than normal. The mistake I made was doing my research after infusing. Needless to say, my balls swelled up to 20-inches before I went to bad. When I woke up the next morning, my balls were enormous. Before going to bed, I was staying super hydrated. My balls were sucking the water out of the rest of my body, making them grow bigger and bigger. That was 3-days ago, and I am still no where near back to normal. I do have to say, it did feel amazing, and that it was strange that there was little to no migration to my penis like there normally is. Stay safe and do your research. Don’t mess up like I did.
Dezertranger83

Post by Dezertranger83 »

Question for everyone. I have a couple of bags of just 5% dex any issue with that?
5C61FBB0-29CF-4B5D-B7F4-65699952E3E5.jpeg
mRuss

Post by mRuss »

5% Dex will slowly swell for an hour or so after you finish infusing. I have 5% and 10% Dex that I infuse and I'm just fine.
kiwibop

Post by kiwibop »

D5 won't swell.

As I've posted before - it is basic physiology:

D5W is isotonic and cannot result in additional swell above that from the volume of fluid infused

Handy cheat sheet (hypertonic = extra swell. isotonic/hypotonic = no extra swell):

The following is a list of solutions by their tonicity:

Hypertonic:
D5 0.9% NaCl
D5 in Lactated ringers
D5 0.45% NaCl
D10W

Isotonic:
0.9% NaCl (Normal Saline)
Lactated Ringers
D5W (In the bag)

Hypotonic:
D5W (in the body)
0.25% NaCl
0.45% NaCl (half normal saline)
2.5% Dextrose

Why is D5W listed under two categories? Well because it is a trickster. The actual solution in the bag is isotonic, but once you give D5W to patients the body metabolizes the glucose molecules that were once causing the solution to be isotonic. The solution is now missing solute, causing it to become a hypotonic solution.
Vohrca

Post by Vohrca »

While the body may metabolize the glucose steadily when injected intravenously into the bloodstream for normal patients, wouldn't the glucose injected into the scrotum "linger around" for a while since it's basically being dumped into there all at once? I'm honestly no expert on how quickly all the glucose in a D5 solution would get pulled into the bloodstream, I figured if it's just sitting around in the scrotum it hasn't been metabolized yet, and would pull fluids into the area until its had a chance.