Saline brands and pain level

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

leggera16

Saline brands and pain level

Post by leggera16 »

I did 1l plasmalyte recently and the second i switched to a cheaper one it started stinging bad. I got no pain at all with plasmalyte. This is into tissue. Balls doesnt seem as badly affected.

It also happened using just the cheap one alone (from prax dienest)

My freind noticed it too and i felt a bit dehydrated after the cheap stuff. Could it be bad or just that its not isotonic or has balanced electrolytes?

Im hoping to try some different cheap ones in the hope one doesnt sting.
Troika

Re: Saline brands and pain level

Post by Troika »

I usually drink a lot of water when I infuse because I know I'm adding salt to my system. I think it also increases, probably just slightly, how big I get.
cjfatnite

Post by cjfatnite »

Troika wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:19 pm I usually drink a lot of water when I infuse because I know I'm adding salt to my system. I think it also increases, probably just slightly, how big I get.
I wouldn't say you're adding salt. You're adding saline, which is isotonic. The concentration of salt in your blood shouldn't change, or at the very least it will move closer to what is considered "idea". That being said, it's almost never a bad idea to drink more water.
-CJ
Troika

Post by Troika »

cjfatnite wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 am
Troika wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:19 pm I usually drink a lot of water when I infuse because I know I'm adding salt to my system. I think it also increases, probably just slightly, how big I get.
I wouldn't say you're adding salt. You're adding saline, which is isotonic. The concentration of salt in your blood shouldn't change, or at the very least it will move closer to what is considered "idea". That being said, it's almost never a bad idea to drink more water.
True but it still has -some- sodium and its being introduced to the system that didn't have that quantity, however small. It still pulls water in and adding more water gives the saline more water to grab, even if its just a little bit. I'm pretty sure once you get into some of the high quantities like 4, 5, 6 liters of saline, I'm pretty sure the effect is more pronouced even if its still not obvious.
leggera16

Post by leggera16 »

Ive done 3l so far in one go. So any amount of this stings like a bugger for two of us

https://www.praxisdienst.com/en/Injecti ... html?cur=3

This one at 3 times the cost is much less pain

https://www.praxisdienst.com/en/Injecti ... html?cur=3

And plasmolyte i could probably fill all day with and no pain lol. I am often slightly dehydrated.

Maybe ill try the others on that site
Troika

Post by Troika »

I don't think I can get plasmalyte in the US without a prescription. :s
leggera16

Post by leggera16 »

Im going to guess the ones with balanced electrolytes are better for me. So maybe find another brand that has those.
mjim7

Post by mjim7 »

You're comparing two very different fluids here. One is pure.0.9% saline which always stings but I don't find it that bad, and the other one is a totally different and more complex mixture of stuff. haven't tried that but I have given up saline for 5% glucose solution which is pretty painless and only needs about half the quantity of saline for the same result. There shouldn't be any difference between brands of normal iv grade saline whatever the price difference.
Troika

Post by Troika »

mjim7 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:18 am You're comparing two very different fluids here. One is pure.0.9% saline which always stings but I don't find it that bad, and the other one is a totally different and more complex mixture of stuff. haven't tried that but I have given up saline for 5% glucose solution which is pretty painless and only needs about half the quantity of saline for the same result. There shouldn't be any difference between brands of normal iv grade saline whatever the price difference.
Is that really it? 500ml of 5% glucose = 1L of 0.9% saline?