First Saline Infusion, Possible Infection?

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

BorisTheOdd

First Saline Infusion, Possible Infection?

Post by BorisTheOdd »

Yesterday I performed my first saline infusion, I was able to get basically the correct equipment from a friend who works in dialysis (some of it wasn't ideal, but was clean and in date). Even though I'm confident in the equipment I was using, I was less confident in the environment I performed it in, also being the first time I was having a hard time getting the needle to register and perhaps jabbed too many times with the same needle. A few places suggest that you shouldn't use alcohol to disinfect your equipment or the area of injection, did it anyways because I'm dumb.
I mention this because there are these three minuscule blackish dots on my scrotum in areas where I inserted the needle. There's nothing else visibly wrong, and the skin around the black dots is unaffected, but I'd like to nip any potential infection in the bud, it's only been 24 hours after all. Could it just be tiny bruises from me dulling the needles? Does anyone know early signs of an infection of this sort and should I be worried?
Thor39

Re: First Saline Infusion, Possible Infection?

Post by Thor39 »

Hi Boris
I dont think you should be worried. In my mind it just sounds like bruising.
Thor
Bearinboots

Re: First Saline Infusion, Possible Infection?

Post by Bearinboots »

Hi the three minuscules my be just the bruising and the natural clogs of the blood before any injury, you just probably prick on one of the hundreds veins in the skin of your scrotum, and they will heal naturally like any other bruising.
Now the real signs of infections happen when the swelling doesn't go out naturally. It should reduced slowly depending on how active you keep and the rate of your body absorbing the fluid. For example, if I do 2 ltrs they will be gone within 48h, faster if I go out for a walk and keep my day today activities or do some exercise.
If something similar doesn't happen and the swelling becomes hard, painful, and grows, then you have an infection.
I don't know who says do not use alcohol and the reasons for it, but my best advice if doing this with the utmost care and hygiene. Wash your hand with medical bacterial killers at every step, use gloves, disinfect all the area around you, have clean towels and bedding wherever you sit or do the infusion, keep everything way from any source of dust or prevent any dust coming into contact with anything.
I cannot stress this any harder.
and have fun!