Saline Solution Question

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

neworlandopumper

Saline Solution Question

Post by neworlandopumper »

Any Medical people out there that can answer a question? I recently bought a case of saline and noticed a warning label on it that reads:
"Warning:Hypotonic and hemolytic.Do Not inject until made appropriately isotonic by addition of appropriate solute."

I don't recall seeing this warning on prior bags of saline that I purchased. This is a Braun Medical brand, which is also different from what i had used previously. I am not infusing this solution until I can get verification on it.

Thanks!
Happy pumping and infusing!
Marcus20

Re: Saline Solution Question

Post by Marcus20 »

I will say that I'm by no means a doctor or anyone know really knows anything about this. I take no responsibility for any accidents, injury, or death.

From what I am gathering of this, it is a hypotonic solution. The reason why (I'm assuming) it says it is hemolytic is due to the nature of the solution it is. Hypotonic solution isn't a balanced solution as isotonic is. I fear that the reason why they mention that it is hemolytic is to prevent the damaging of red blood cells. In conclusion, I'm assuming it's best to stick with isotonic solutions.

I'm no genius at this stuff guys, if someone wants to step up and say what this is or opinions then that's awesome. I'm just tossing out what I am thinking of this. Someone prove me wrong lol, I won't mind.
neworlandopumper

Thanks for the response. I've been infusing over the years and that was the first time I had seen that warning on any bag, so it set off a red flag to me. I'll get rid of them and see where else i can order. My normal order place was out.
rajrajiv

Post by rajrajiv »

Before infusing plz check the saline solution concentration on the pack. If it says 0.9% w/v nacl then its ok to infuse. 0.9%w/v is the salt concentration of our body fluids so if ur saline solution bag is also .9% w/v then its isotonic to our bodu fluid salt concentration and its safe to use.
Hypotonic means the saline solution has less salt concentration so if u use it for infusion as it is then it will cause ur body cells to swell up and brust which includes blood cells too. Thats why the heamolytic warning..
neworlandopumper

Thanks raj..i've already discarded all the bags..luckily i always read everything on the bags before i do anything. not sure how i missed that when i was ordering.