Saline Question?

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

racer-x

Saline Question?

Post by racer-x »

I ordered some saline and I am not sure if its safe or not? I was looking for a little help here. I have a 3000ml bag It says for Irrigation not injection. The label and percentages are the
same as a 250ml bag I have that said it was for injection. See attached Picture. Thanks for help
Attachments
WP_20140716_19_44_08_Pro.jpg
B8rBear

Re: Saline Question?

Post by B8rBear »

That solution is meant for bladder irrigation thru a 3-way Foley catheter. It's used to keep blood clots from forming that could potentially block the urethral passage. It's probably not safe for injection into the tissues or veins. I think it has more preservatives that may be caustic to the tissues. I would not use it for fear of tissue damage.
maXXXbulge

Post by maXXXbulge »

Yeah I contacted my supplier about their 3 liter irrigation saline bags and they recommended it not to be used to infuse also
muhman

Post by muhman »

i look at that bag and it says "not heat over 66°C" - so why?
we put saline bag in micro wave and heat them over body temperature..
ncr1065

Post by ncr1065 »

Because it's made of plastic. Above a certain temperature it will start to dissociate its ingredients, which you don't want to infuse.
TheDongShow

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racer-x

Post by racer-x »

I would like the thank everyone for there help and input. I called the distribution place today and it was a mistake on there website. They are allowing me to return the the supply. That again for the help I just want to remain safe. And not take a chance on something that is wrong.
racer-x

Post by racer-x »

One thing the company did say is that they. Have 5% dextrose but the lady said it did not have any saline. But does dextrose need a medium to be suspended in. Maybe I miss understood her. Could this safely be used.
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

5% dextrose is usually in water, D5W (sterile of course). It also comes as 5% dextrose in saline, D5NS, which is my fluid of choice. Higher osmolality than D5W, which pulls more of your fluid into the scrotum. I have used 10% dextrose, D10W ,but the sugar load concerns me. I'm not diabetic but it runs in my family. Wanna be careful with that. Plus, D10W is a LOT more caustic to the tissues than D5NS. I hope that helps.