text

An area to talk about saline inflation.

Moderator: bigray57

TheDongShow

text

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 13 times in total.
TheDongShow

Re: want to try saline, experienced pumper

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

In the US, I order from either DealMed.com or Atlantic Medical. Atlantic Medical is about $100 US for a case of Dextrose solutions ... (14 liters). Check their websites and compare to Canadian pricing. Just some info ..

Good luck and show us some pics TDS !!!
TheDongShow

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDongShow

only 200ml

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rohumpy

Re: first attempt, need help

Post by rohumpy »

When you insert the needle, there is a second membrane you need to get through. You can easily feel the needle go through it. Also I insert the needle toward the top and in the center. There has not yet been a problem with the inflation. The flow is fairly rapid (or you can take it slow) I like it rapid so the inflation takes place quickly.

I am sure there are others here who can chime in with their experiences.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

I also admit that it's tricky to find that sweet spot for insertion. It takes some practice and trial and error over several fills, but this is what I find works for me:

-Warm up the scrotum: I generally have a very tight scrotum and I think it must even sense the presence of a needle nearby because my balls practically leap up inside and my scrotum turns into a tight, leathery wrinkled piece of skin. I used to get it soft and warm and relaxed by sitting in a hot bath for a while. I wanted something easier and neater and not so wet, so I took one of those hot/cold gel packs and warmed it up in hot water. I then stuffed it down my briefs and under my scrotum and continued prepping for my infusion. No muss, no fuss. And it worked like a dream. I could leave it there for as long as I wanted. And if the pack cooled down too much, I just heated it up again. I would still always wash the area thoroughly before infusion anyway. But this was so much easier and allowed me to be mobile.

-Heat up the solution: I zap mine in a microwave on low and check the temperature with an LED temperature strip periodically. Then I wrap the bags, unopened, in a fresh towel to keep it a little insulated as I continue to get things set up. I also find that Dextrose/Glucose retains heat much longer than plain saline.

-Insertion point: I'm left handed and like to go in just to the left of the line that divides the scrotum and just below the root of the penis. This point allows me to monitor the point of entry and also apply adequate pressure after catheter removal. I can also check for any leaking, etc as well, and by the time the scrotum is filled up, the site is well away from any cock ring or other apparatus I choose to play around with.

-Insertion technique: With the skin stretched between my right-hand fingers and my balls coerced out of the way, I swab the area with an alcohol wipe and insert the catheter. I always start with the beveled edge of the needle facing up and the angle 30-45 degrees with the skin. Once it punctures the surface, I gently change the angle to prependicular and firmly press all the way in. It's a little scary and intimidating, but so far, so good. I use a 1.25" needle length and can go all the way in. The reason I use this technique with the angle is that I get a much better seal and no leaking once it's out.

-Proper depth: When I first started, it took me a while to play around with the depth of the catheter to ensure proper flow. This was not easy to manage, constantly checking drip rates while sliding the catheter out without completely removing it. But when I'd find a sweet spot and the flow started, I'd be very careful not to move. And once the scrotum starts filling up, it goes in much easier so I'm less nervous about moving around after.

-Filling up both sides: When I first started with inflation, the fill was unbalanced but it would eventually disperse to both sides euqally. Now, even when the fill starts on one side, it always evens out by the time I'm ready to remove the catheter. Search my progress pictures on this site and you'll see a fill-up with only one insertion point. I think with practice, it just flows more easily everywhere.

-Going in between the membranes: The scrotum is made up of membrane layers. If you don't insert the catheter all the way, you may result in filing the space between these layers rather than the large cavity surrounding your testicles. this has happened to me twice when I was still inexperienced. It almost felt like a large bubble like a plastic bubble wrap. I never continued filling. Rather, I always took a break and then started again with a fresh catheter in a different site. Once you fill up that large cavity, you'll know immediately if you're missing it the next time.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. And good luck!
TheDongShow

Post by TheDongShow »

text
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

Catheter placement is a tricky thing ... and it just takes time and practice to figure your anatomy out. I tend to place the needle on the top left side of the scrotum not far from the "seam" ... I have an anatomical picture of the internal structures of the scrotum and I try to get my catheter into the cellular tissue area in the center near the scrotal wall. Infiltrating that tissue is ideal for saline in my experience.

Heating the fluids in the microwave ... I agree with you ... it's a no no! I put mine in a heating pad for about an hour before I infuse. Then I hang the fluids with the heating pad around it WHILE infusing ... you'll get creative with tape and what not to make it work. If I plan on 2 L or more, I put both inside the heating pad. It's much safer. Especially with the "Baxter" brand of IV fluids. The plastic bags they use break down in the microwave and you could end up "lining" the inside of your scrotum with plastic. They have done autopsies on peritoneal dialysis patients who routinely heated their fluids in the microwave and found plastic lining their abdominal cavity. Just sayin'! Heat them in a heating pad.

If you accidentally infiltrated the wrong area of your scrotum, there is no more risk for infection than if you infiltrated the proper area of your scrotum. As long as you use a very clean to sterile technique when placing the needle and handling the open connections, you are safe. It can be a bit "uncomfortable" until your body absorbs the fluids but, as you probably know by now, it goes away. I've made MANY "bad needle placements" in the short time I've been doing this and have not had any infection issues yet. Infiltrating the fluid in between skin layers can't cause any "damage." I am only nervous about hitting the testicle or the seminal or blood vessels that are "connected" to it. Then you can cause some "damage." I have accidentally infiltrated fluid into the tissues that support the vessels a couple times but, I caught it within 50ml and stopped infusion and replaced the needle. My body has always absorbed the fluid and I have suffered no consequence because of those errors. Scary but, it happens.

Regarding when to infuse again after a misplaced needle ... when your body absorbs the fluid, you should be good to go as long as there are no signs of infection (warmth or tenderness).

I hope this info helps. Lemme know if you have any more questions. Feel free to email me directly also.
Attachments
Anatomy (in French)
Anatomy (in French)
Scrotal Anatomy.jpg (34.4 KiB) Viewed 22088 times
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Wow! Scary information about the microwave.

However, the risk associated with chemicals from plastic leaching into food/liquid when microwaved may occur in the following instances: when fatty substances in the microwaved material is present (not applicable to saline or dextrose), how long an item is microwaved (3 minutes max at power level 3...not very high or long), how hot the substance gets (never above 98 degress, body temperature), how often the microwave substances are consumed (less than once a month for me, unlike dialysis patients) and whether or not the microwave may be damaged. So with those risk factors considered, I'm not that concerned.

I also have never had a problem with Baxter supplies. I have to question how long or hot they're being microwaved because that has never happened in my experience. I guess I'm lucky! :-)
TheDongShow

Post by TheDongShow »

text
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

I tend to use a 90 placement into the scrotum aiming for the cellular tissue areas noted in the diagram I posted above. When you are fully deflated, the infusion may be slow as the end of the catheter may be hitting the scrotal wall or muscle wall inside. Just pull a slight traction on the catheter not moving it out of the skin and you will get some fill going. Then, once the tissues are beginning to fill, you won't have the issue any more. The saline will just flow easily. I put another 2 liters in today into an already bloated sac (18 inches) and had NO trouble with needle placement or flow. These are my experiences and work for me. Maybe they will help you. Good luck.
TheDongShow

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B8rBear

Post by B8rBear »

DAMN Dude! I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty! I had my share this weekend too! I think infused in between the layers also. I put a liter in ... placed a second needle for the second liter and hit the right spot. it all evened out in the long run. I had 22 inch balls in the end. it's a lot of trial and error!
TheDongShow

Post by TheDongShow »

text
Last edited by TheDongShow on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.