Solar Made Plastic Suntea Jar - Is it any good for pumping?

Talk about ball pumping, stretching, ball enlargement techniques.

Moderator: bigray57

JimmyJones

Solar Made Plastic Suntea Jar - Is it any good for pumping?

Post by JimmyJones »

They are easily bought on Amazon, but being plastic, I worry about stress cracks forming when used for pumping. And once you get those cracks you cant hold pressure anymore. Anybody ever used one?

Ive been trying to find a decent glass suntea jar for a while now, but being in Canada they are really hard to find here. I thought Id just settle for a plastic one from Amazon, but if its really weak plastic I dont want to waste my time and money on it.
pipefitterdom

Re: Solar Made Plastic Suntea Jar - Is it any good for pumpi

Post by pipefitterdom »

If you use less than 5hg. Vacuum they are pretty sturdy and you can replace them about 30 times for the price of one monster sr.
I'd rather crack a plastic jar than shatter a glass one.
I used one until it began to entrap my bag.
Bigbals244

Post by Bigbals244 »

Check your local value village that's where I found mine then you adapt it Mine works fine just have to get a cushion soon
mja94116

Post by mja94116 »

The normal plastic sun tea jars are made of thick hard plastic. A good thing is less weight than glass. Defintely get a doughnut gasket thing from Pump Toys, a Mity Vac pump from them (plastic one is fine. Don't get water into them) or maybe cheaper elsewhere, and the adapter kit. Or you can do something with a little hardware and epoxy putty or something and use the regular STJ valve.

You can get out of anything by applying pressure rather than vacuum. A Mity Vac has a pressure outlet, or adapt a bicycle pump or something. If you are really filling a STJ, getting out might not be fun unless you get into it, but it will happen. It's solid geometry - you are pushing a big round thing through a smaller diameter so it has to stretch its surface area more. A sphere has the minimum surface per interior cubic inches.
SFBallpumper

Post by SFBallpumper »

Finding sun tea jars during the winter is like finding ice skates in July. Yes, it can be done, but it's extremely difficult. Sun tea Jars are available in a lot of stores during the summer and get scarce when the snow falls in the US or in Canada. I'd bet that Loblaws or Dominion grocery stores will have plenty of sun tea jars next summer. Even Canadian Tire will probably have them.

I strongly prefer plastic, because I don't want to risk glass cracking or shattering anywhere near my privates. I've found that there are two kinds of plastic sun tea jars. There's a thin, clear, flexible plastic that flexes when you squeeze the jar and a much sturdier clear hard plastic. The flexible kind doesn't seem like it would hold up to any kind of vacuum, while the hard kind has worked very well for me. I've dropped my hard plastic jar several times over the past 5 years and it didn't crack until recently. But it was cheap to begin with, so it's no big deal. I think mine was about $10 US.
It’s the pleasure of the pressure...
That1dude94

Re: Solar Made Plastic Suntea Jar - Is it any good for pumping?

Post by That1dude94 »

Just ordered a solar made plastic STJ. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with it.
Also, if anyone had a direct link to an STJ that they ordered online that worked out well, I would really appreciate it!
Trying to stick to plastic over glass.