Pumping causing UTIs?

Talk about ball pumping, stretching, ball enlargement techniques.

Moderator: bigray57

Regulus237

Pumping causing UTIs?

Post by Regulus237 »

In the last few years, I've started pumping less frequently than I used to -- every few months or so. Still an avid fan, and would love to do more, but work/life/etc. has limited my ability to do it as often as I'd like. However, I've noted that when I do pump, sometimes within a few days of doing so, I tend to get a mild urinary tract infection.

They tend to, but don't always, start with a mild bout of epididymitis in one testicle (my urologist says I'm just particularly prone to getting them - no real reason why), but can then spread to the bladder and other parts of my urinary tract. Usually 10-14 days of antibiotics clears things right up, but still, it's concerning.

My pump regimen is usually to go for a few hours in the evenings in half hour intervals with 5 minute breaks. I use the cheap jar/tube/mouth method, and get good results, and (especially since I noticed the correlation), thoroughly wash everything before and throughout the process in case whatever is the problem involves outside contamination.

Should my circumstances change such that I'm able to pump more, I'd like to be able to without having to worry that I'm risking infection.

My questions are: has anyone else had this problem? Anyone (perhaps B8rBear with his medical background) have some idea what's causing it and how to prevent it?

Thanks, everyone.
pipefitterdom

Re: Pumping causing UTIs?

Post by pipefitterdom »

Regulus237 wrote:In the last few years, I've started pumping less frequently than I used to -- every few months or so. Still an avid fan, and would love to do more, but work/life/etc. has limited my ability to do it as often as I'd like. However, I've noted that when I do pump, sometimes within a few days of doing so, I tend to get a mild urinary tract infection.

They tend to, but don't always, start with a mild bout of epididymitis in one testicle (my urologist says I'm just particularly prone to getting them - no real reason why), but can then spread to the bladder and other parts of my urinary tract. Usually 10-14 days of antibiotics clears things right up, but still, it's concerning.

My pump regimen is usually to go for a few hours in the evenings in half hour intervals with 5 minute breaks. I use the cheap jar/tube/mouth method, and get good results, and (especially since I noticed the correlation), thoroughly wash everything before and throughout the process in case whatever is the problem involves outside contamination.

Should my circumstances change such that I'm able to pump more, I'd like to be able to without having to worry that I'm risking infection.

My questions are: has anyone else had this problem? Anyone (perhaps B8rBear with his medical background) have some idea what's causing it and how to prevent it?

Thanks, everyone.

I'm sure Bater will chime in soon....
If you are cleaning your equipment regularly, you probably shouldn't worry about infection unless water is stagnating in the pump hose and dripping back into the tube. Every so often I soak my hose in vinegar and water then give it a good flush, and while I try to be vigilant about cleaning my tubes, sometimes I skip washing them and I've never had an infection.

You didn't provide any specifics about your vacuum levels or wet or dry. If you are pumping aggressively, and you don't mention it to your Dr. it's understandable for him to assume your condition is infection related, but it may simply be a mechanical cause not a biological one.

If you are not already, try keeping your vac level below 3 or 4hg and see how it goes. I overdid it and began shooting pink, and it cleared up all on it's own after a few days rest. I find that I still get the same results that I did at 5-7hg and almost just as fast.

More ain't always better.
B8rBear

Re: Pumping causing UTIs?

Post by B8rBear »

Hummm ... I guess I gotta reply! LOL. Actually, it's my pleasure ... I agree with pipe ... I'd need a bit more information and I would also encourage an open discussion with your doctor about your pumping hobby. If the doctor is worthy, there will be no judgement, just solid advice as to the effects of negative pressure on your genitalia.

The "infection" and epididymitis could be actually caused by the negative pressure ... i.e. a false infection. It could just be irritation related to the negative pressure. Especially since you are prone to them. I honestly don't have much to offer in this incidence due to my lack of experience with pumping (since I am primarily an infuser). Folks like pipe and stretch and others who have been pumping for years will have better anecdotal advice for you than me.

Again, I would encourage an honest discussion with your healthcare provider about your pumping. That may help him/her better understand your symptoms.

There's my 2 cents.