Sounding For Medical Purposes

Body piercing and modification discussion.

Moderator: bigray57

devodude

Sounding For Medical Purposes

Post by devodude »

I know this isn't a medical forum, but has anyone had any experience with using sounds to help with urethral strictures? The usual medical profession doesn't seem to have much success dealing with it, and the homeopathic sites I've been to make all kinds of crazy claims of cures. Would sounds help stretch out the stricture, thus improving urine flow? I'm getting sick and tired of bladder infections which I'm sure is one of the main causes.

Also, prostate massage has been recommended help reduce the related issue of prostatitis. I realize this isn't a sexy subject, but a lot of guys on this site seem to do some sounding and urethral stretching. What stretching I've tried seems to only go so far. I don't own a set of sounds as yet, and they aren't cheap. Therefore, any insight into this subject would be appreciated by anyone who've had experience with strictures and sounding. :)
"Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time."
--Unknown

Be sure to check out my Tumblr blog: http://devodick.tumblr.com/
TetherSpout

Re: Sounding For Medical Purposes

Post by TetherSpout »

I don't know anything about strictures, which I think are normally caused by the presence of scar tissue stemming from injury or disease, or about prostatitis, but I did do a little research on benign prostate enlargement a few years back. That's my problem. My growing prostate is putting pressure on my urethra where it passes thru and is making it increasingly difficult to pee, which in turn can lead to infections if the urine stagnates. I've read that dilation of the urethra where it passes thru the prostate is often quite successful in such cases. Sometimes, sounds are large enough to do the trick (depends on the size of your urethral orifice). In other cases, specialized balloons or expandable stents are used, both usually in a hospital setting on an out-patient basis.

In a hospital, the procedure can be pretty brutal. I suspect that a cautious do-it-yourself approach may be much better. When my condition gets bad enough (I'm almost at that point now), I plan to try dilating my urethra, where it passes thru the prostate, myself before I let anyone else touch it. I will slowly work my way up to a size 32Fr sound (the largest my urethral orifice can take), and if that isn't enough I'll stretch it further with the balloon of a Foley catheter. I think the key will be keeping the sound or catheter in position for long periods, to give the prostate time to gently expand and adjust. I gather that when the procedure is performed by medical personnel, they are not willing to take that time and use a more forceful approach under local or general anesthetic. That's not something I want to recover from afterward. I get a lot of pleasure from stuffing my urethra anyway. This will just give me a excuse to gingerly go one step further. I'm confident that in my case (no obvious scar tissue or infections) it will work. In any case, what do I have to loose?
Oregazmick

Post by Oregazmick »

I'm sure that TetherSpout is right when he says that stretching needs to take place over a long period of time, and not a quick and brutal approach under anaesthetic. I have no medical experience or qualifications, but have stretched my urethra for pleasure over a period of many years. I have reached a point that I have not tried to exceed, so far anyway, and can take a toy 17mm in diameter. To reach this level from a very much smaller one I used peethru toys that I made myself, and wore semi-permanently. I only increased at about 0.5mm diameter at a time, and each new stretch was slightly painful for a time, but eventually the pain wore off once the urethra had stretched, and as far as I can see, the result became permanent. Not that it gets much of a chance to revert, I wear a 15mm diameter peethru toy in my urethra full time, the size of my peehole is slightly less, so keeps the toy in, invisible from the outside, but I know it is there, constant pleasurable feelings. Having previously been stretched, my peehole easily expands to let the toy out when required, and indeed is easily taken to my current 17mm diameter limit.
So I would recommend stretching your urethra where it passes through your prostate yourself. As you are experienced at UP (urethral play) you will know what precautions to take. If you can use something peethru, such as a suitable piece of sterile and smooth flexible plastic tube, then it could be kept in place for long periods of time, gently stretching. Personally, anything that far in I would want protruding slightly from the end of my penis so that I could pull it out, as when you reach the prostate you will not be able to get behind it to push it out! From your earlier posts I guess that you are able to make something suitable yourself.
devodude

Post by devodude »

TetherSpout wrote:I don't know anything about strictures, which I think are normally caused by the presence of scar tissue stemming from injury or disease, or about prostatitis, but I did do a little research on benign prostate enlargement a few years back. That's my problem.
BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) is part of my problem too, but regardless of what my urologist might think, I'm fairly sure the infections are due to the stricture as there's always "residual" urine left after I pee. Having urine trapped between the stricture and the prostate ain't helping matters much.

It seems that urology is still in the dark ages compared to other medical fields. The current crop of drugs used to treat BPH and other urinary problems have so many terrible side effects and aren't often that good at treating the problem.

My own approach to any treatment is to start off with the least invasive or risky first, and move up from there.

I've tried saw palmetto http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kb/content/s ... 3spec.html several times (using different brands) but didn't really see much relief.
My growing prostate is putting pressure on my urethra where it passes thru and is making it increasingly difficult to pee, which in turn can lead to infections if the urine stagnates.
That's the usual thought as to how UTI infections in men often occur.
I've read that dilation of the urethra where it passes thru the prostate is often quite successful in such cases.
I've been trying to find medical literature that'll back up that claim, although we all know the medical profession isn't very interested in therapies that don't make them big bucks. The whole "pill for every ill" approach (Big Pharma).
Sometimes, sounds are large enough to do the trick (depends on the size of your urethral orifice). In other cases, specialized balloons or expandable stents are used, both usually in a hospital setting on an out-patient basis.
I used to be able to shove a AA battery down my urethra but now that the stricture is there, anything half that size becomes painful. That's why I'm thinking of using real sounds and work my way up in size through gentle stretching.
In a hospital, the procedure can be pretty brutal.
My urologist hasn't even suggested any particular method, and sort of wrote off any possibility of being able to do anything to make things better. Their approach seems to be much more invasive (surgery) and the strictures are known to come back, plus there's a high risk of bleeding.

I'm also concerned that any sounding I do will just bring on more infections, regardless of how clean I make them (without an autoclave, just how clean is clean enough?).
When my condition gets bad enough (I'm almost at that point now), I plan to try dilating my urethra, where it passes thru the prostate, myself before I let anyone else touch it. I will slowly work my way up to a size 32Fr sound (the largest my urethral orifice can take), and if that isn't enough I'll stretch it further with the balloon of a Foley catheter.
I think it would benefit the forum members and myself to know how helpful that process would be. Has anyone ever gone to a homeopathic doctor and asked what can be done about BPH or strictures? I'm sure they'd be more willing to suggest sounding. It would be even better if I could acquire them as a medical aid and have them paid for through my medical plan. :-)

One other good idea I've read about is performing prostate massage on a routine basis. Apart from the claimed benefits, it is pleasurable, but it takes time and can only be done easily if you have a decent amount of mobility. Stretching around your backside isn't quite a "Cirque du Soleil" maneuver, but after five minutes it can be a bit trying on the back, arms and fingers. :wink:

I'm hoping a combination of prostate massage and urethral sounding can keep things healthy and opened up. Since I'm not getting any younger, I'd like to get on to some sort of regime and see how it goes. I don't have access to measuring equipment like urologists have to measure urine flow (uroflowmeter). And since iPhones or Android ones don't "have an app for that" to my knowledge, any improvements would be difficult to track and measure.
I think the key will be keeping the sound or catheter in position for long periods
Oh darn... :D
I get a lot of pleasure from stuffing my urethra anyway.
I used to as well, but perhaps I should have invested in some "real" sounds instead of experimenting with just about anything that would go down there! :lol: If you've seen some of my postings, you'll know what I mean.
This will just give me a excuse to gingerly go one step further. I'm confident that in my case (no obvious scar tissue or infections) it will work. In any case, what do I have to loose?
Yeah, that's the way I see it. Where's the down side? Other than a risk of infection from probing. The temptation is to always go deeper (at least for me, anyway). It's pure ecstasy once I get near the bladder.... but the infection risk is so much greater! Damn it, we humans are so poorly designed.

Thanks for your in depth reply TetherSpout. I think there are still some great options available to me, and I'll have to make arrangements in the near future to purchase some sounds.

I was also considering a subincision a year or two down the road, but I'd only be able to cut down to the stricture (half way down my urethra) and don't know if that would change anything. The sub isn't for the main purpose of better urinary flow. Sort of a weird fetish thing for me.... but I'd have to be extra slow and cautious trying that procedure too (living on low-dose Aspirin thins the blood quite a bit).
--Unknown

devodude

Post by devodude »

Oregazmick wrote: I have no medical experience or qualifications, but have stretched my urethra for pleasure over a period of many years. I have reached a point that I have not tried to exceed, so far anyway, and can take a toy 17mm in diameter.
Since I have a meatotomy, I'm able to get my thumb half way down my urethra (can't get past the knuckle of the thumb, of course). What amount of stretching I've tried seems to be very limited.
To reach this level from a very much smaller one I used peethru toys that I made myself, and wore semi-permanently.
This definitely sounds delightful and intriguing!
Having previously been stretched, my peehole easily expands to let the toy out when required, and indeed is easily taken to my current 17mm diameter limit.
Practise does make perfect... :wink:
So I would recommend stretching your urethra where it passes through your prostate yourself. As you are experienced at UP (urethral play) you will know what precautions to take. If you can use something peethru, such as a suitable piece of sterile and smooth flexible plastic tube, then it could be kept in place for long periods of time, gently stretching.
Maybe it's the town I live in, or where I end up shopping... haven't found anything suitable. Just finding simple tubing used in fish tanks seems to be a challenge to find.
Personally, anything that far in I would want protruding slightly from the end of my penis so that I could pull it out, as when you reach the prostate you will not be able to get behind it to push it out! From your earlier posts I guess that you are able to make something suitable yourself.
I'm much handier with anything that uses electricity (i.e., computers, etc.) than anything mechanical. Keeping tubing in place is quite challenging and I wouldn't want anything falling out at an inopportune time.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my inquiry, Oregazmick. Even if I don't find a way to deal with the stricture, it'll at least be fun trying!
--Unknown

TetherSpout

Post by TetherSpout »

devodude,

I still don't really understand what you mean by "strictures". Can you describe them and their cause more thoroughly and tell me exactly where they occur. If they are preventing urine from freely draining out downstream of your prostate, they must be pretty severe. If that is the case, how would you even know that BPH is contributing to your problem? Are you sure that is really happening?

I suspect that you may indeed have a stricture, possibly caused by a prior injury or infection which resulted in the formation of scar tissue and made the urethra less elastic in that area. That would manifest itself as pain in the local area and the sensation of extreme pressure upstream of that area whenever you pee or ejaculate, but I doubt it would be enough to completely hold back urine. I think your main problem is indeed BPH, and you have the added problem of needing to get past the stricture before you can try to dilate your urethra in the prostate region to fix it.

Another possibility is that the infection which caused the stricture is chronic and still on-going. I would address that possibility first. Tell your doctor that you feel like you have a chronic urinary infection that constantly comes and goes and you want to be put on a foolproof regiment of the most powerful antibiotics there are, to get rid of it once and for all. Most doctors will comply and not bother with a urinalysis, if you insist. My doctor put me on a heavy course of ciprofloxacn, just on the suspicion that I might have a chronic infection, even though initial urine tests came back negative.
devodude

Post by devodude »

TetherSpout wrote:devodude,

I still don't really understand what you mean by "strictures". Can you describe them and their cause more thoroughly and tell me exactly where they occur.
Well, my urologist never specifically said I had strictures, but based on the medical terminology I've gathered, it is a lump of scar tissue caused by either infection or injury to the urethra. I got them fairly spontaneously and can't be sure specifically when it happened, but I would guess my years of "experimentation" with sounding may have brought this on. No real way of knowing for sure though.

If they are preventing urine from freely draining out downstream of your prostate, they must be pretty severe. If that is the case, how would you even know that BPH is contributing to your problem? Are you sure that is really happening?
The partial blockage occurs about halfway down my urethra, so I'm fairly certain that BPH isn't a direct cause of my infections because I can feel the difference between an inflammed prostate (where it's very difficult to pee) and when my prostate is more "relaxed". I think both conditions are working in concert to cause repeated infections.
I suspect that you may indeed have a stricture, possibly caused by a prior injury or infection which resulted in the formation of scar tissue and made the urethra less elastic in that area.
Yes, exactly the case with me.
That would manifest itself as pain in the local area and the sensation of extreme pressure upstream of that area whenever you pee or ejaculate, but I doubt it would be enough to completely hold back urine

To the contrary... it's not a complete blockage, but always enough that my urethra never fully drains after passing urine. There's always just enough dribble left (maybe a tablespoon worth) after going. So having any urine trapped there has to be coaxed out using various techniques.
I think your main problem is indeed BPH, and you have the added problem of needing to get past the stricture before you can try to dilate your urethra in the prostate region to fix it.
I spoke recently with a doctor at my local clinic, and confirmed that any remaining urine between the bladder and penis opening, if not fully removed, can lead to recurring infections. In terms of a cure, the doc didn't offer any answers. I was given Cipro even though my urine test was fine. I've used the same antibiotic dozens of times, and it is always successful in taking care of the bladder and kidney infections. I feel the physical causes are not being addressed or even considered. It is always fluffed off, and it's just easier for them to blame my prostate, that only flares up a couple of times a year.

Since my urologist claims not much can be done about a stricture, and that surgery isn't very helpful, my initial inquiry was whether sounding has any positive effects to help either flatten the scarring or increase the diameter of the urethra (using the same principle as a kinked garden hose). Any personal accounts would be good to know about, as the medical literature doesn't seem to be available to back up this idea.
Tell your doctor that you feel like you have a chronic urinary infection that constantly comes and goes and you want to be put on a foolproof regiment of the most powerful antibiotics there are, to get rid of it once and for all.
My family doctor and urologist are fully aware of the recurring nature of my infections, yet they are governed by their attitude to supply the necessary drug only when and as needed. They aren't concerned about being proactive or addressing any underlying cause when I present myself to them. It is the state of the medical profession in my neck of the woods. I can only suspect this method of dispensing health care makes a lot more money for them. But I digress...

As I've mentioned before, I've always wanted to go further with my meatotomy, and would like to consider a partial subincision, but that is not without its risks and my current medical situation (which I won't get into here) is a slight deterrent to starting one today. Subs are not for everyone, but I not only enjoy the aesthetics of it, I am hoping that can provide a bit of relief as well. Again, this is not something that's brought up in any medical literature I've seen. I would highly doubt that any "self-respect" urologist would ever perform a subincision just to alleviate poor urine flow.

Taking into account the psychological ramifications of performing a sub on oneself and the risk factors, I know I would have to proceed in a very slow manner. No one wants to end up in emerg trying to explain what happened there.
--Unknown

CaptainKink01

Post by CaptainKink01 »

I use a product called "Uri Kleer"
I don't play particularly clean, 20 years back a uro wanted to shove something brutal down, to "expand" me.
Gentle play got me way past his "solution"
devodude

Post by devodude »

CaptainKink01 wrote:I use a product called "Uri Kleer"
I'll have to see if I can source this product locally.
I don't play particularly clean, 20 years back a uro wanted to shove something brutal down, to "expand" me.
Gentle play got me way past his "solution"
So it appears to be something you can take for a relatively short period of time to clear up infections and help with BPH. Were you taking this when you felt an infection coming on?

I've had no luck with cranberry juice or capsules, and I drink quite a bit of fluids during the day. There appears to be two products available, spelled differently (Uri-Clear, as opposed to Uri Kleer). Either one sounds viable. I will definitely look into this. Thanks for the info CaptainKink01!
--Unknown

Oregazmick

Post by Oregazmick »

devodude wrote:
I've had no luck with cranberry juice or capsules, and I drink quite a bit of fluids during the day.
In my own case it is definitely cranbury juice rather than capsules, the cranbury juice being drunk regularly over a long period of time. I think it possibly helps to prevent an infection taking hold, rather than curing an existing infection.

Following the mention I've had a search for Uri-Kleer and UriClear. The links for the former all seem to be to South Africa, (eg. http://www.comedhealth.co.za/B_OBN_UriKleer.asp ) whereas the latter is available in the USA
(eg. http://www.pacifichealth.com/products/uriclear.html ). Both seem to be for short term use to combat an existing UTI whereas my experience with cranberry juice suggests that it is for longterm use to help prevent infections becoming estblished.
devodude

Post by devodude »

Oregazmick wrote:
devodude wrote:
I've had no luck with cranberry juice or capsules, and I drink quite a bit of fluids during the day.
In my own case it is definitely cranbury juice rather than capsules, the cranbury juice being drunk regularly over a long period of time. I think it possibly helps to prevent an infection taking hold, rather than curing an existing infection.

Following the mention I've had a search for Uri-Kleer and UriClear. The links for the former all seem to be to South Africa, (eg. http://www.comedhealth.co.za/B_OBN_UriKleer.asp ) whereas the latter is available in the USA
(eg. http://www.pacifichealth.com/products/uriclear.html ). Both seem to be for short term use to combat an existing UTI whereas my experience with cranberry juice suggests that it is for longterm use to help prevent infections becoming estblished.
Well, like I said, even cranberry juice hasn't really helped. I was familiar with the fact that capsules aren't as good as juice (and to make sure it's pure cranberry juice, not a blend). Cranberry juice isn't very good for those individuals who have stomach issues (G.E.R.D.) either.

Both Uri-Kleer/Clear appear to be a completely different formula, and like you said, is for short-term use.

I was hoping that sounding might at least help improve urine flow, for starters, and possibly prove or disprove my theory about the root cause of so many bladder infections. Mind you, it would probably take months to flatten out a stricture to any great degree. They are also a bit painful, so any sounding would have to be done with care (unless you're into pain... and who isn't? :) )
--Unknown

muutenvaan

Post by muutenvaan »

I don't have medical need to stretch my prostate but I'm still looking into buying one of these.
http://www.siliconenozzles.com/Silicone-Sounds_c16.htm
mysoundhole

Post by mysoundhole »

muutenvaan wrote:I don't have medical need to stretch my prostate but I'm still looking into buying one of these.

Have you ordered anything from these people or company before ? There are people out there who will rip you off claiming to have all these wonderful sounding and other sexual products and thats why I'm asking .

mysoundhole
FurryFFun

Post by FurryFFun »

muutenvaan wrote:
I don't have medical need to stretch my prostate but I'm still looking into buying one of these.
mysoundhole » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 pm
Have you ordered anything from these people or company before ? There are people out there who will rip you off claiming to have all these wonderful sounding and other sexual products and thats why I'm asking

I have ordered several silicone sounds from SiliconeNozzles and they are SOOOOOOO nice. They do not stock a huge inventory of each item, so there may be some lag in receiving what you order, but it's only about a week to ten days. I have to laugh at how the 10-1/2" long silcone sound which is 11mm thick works on me: it is the flow-thru design, and it functions perfectly as a catheter. LOL My bladder just drains all of itself. Heading to the store today to get some absorbent pads. But gosh I love the feel of it when I walk around. Like muutenvaan, I'm going to add the 16mm flow-thru sound to my collection so I can do long-term stretching.
mysoundhole

Post by mysoundhole »

FurryFFun wrote:
muutenvaan wrote:
mysoundhole » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 pm
Have you ordered anything from these people or company before ? There are people out there who will rip you off claiming to have all these wonderful sounding and other sexual products and thats why I'm asking

I have ordered several silicone sounds from SiliconeNozzles and they are SOOOOOOO nice. They do not stock a huge inventory of each item, so there may be some lag in receiving what you order, but it's only about a week to ten days. I have to laugh at how the 10-1/2" long silcone sound which is 11mm thick works on me: it is the flow-thru design, and it functions perfectly as a catheter. LOL My bladder just drains all of itself. Heading to the store today to get some absorbent pads. But gosh I love the feel of it when I walk around. Like muutenvaan, I'm going to add the 16mm flow-thru sound to my collection so I can do long-term stretching.
Do you walk around with it in you , you said it drains all my itself ? I just finished sounding my bladder for two hours or was it three hours . For the first time I sounded my bladder using my Van Buren 32FR equal to 10.6 MM .
Its the largest Van Buren I have , took some time to get it all the way in my bladder because of its size in my cock but I finally made it all the way in .
It felt so dam big inside I almost didn't think I was going to back it out , crap that would suck if it got stuck and had to call 911 ! LOL
I really like sounding my bladder using my 28FR , its just the right size for me right now. After two hours sounding my bladder I spent another half hour stretching my Meatus using my 11MM Hegar sound . I haven't sounded in a week using my 11MM so it felt really tight getting it in at first , after I got it in it started to loosen up enough to masterbate my cock while the sound was in stretching my cock hole .
Yea I want to buy one of those silicone sounds you commented on , right now with my exwife coming back home from her three month vacation I might have to wait a month .
Thanks for the information on the silicone sounds - MySoundHole